Personalized medicine focuses on giving the right treatment to the right group of patients at the right time, based on an in-depth understanding of the patient’s medical status and specific biological criteria.
Supported by companion and supportive diagnostics, its aim is to improve the chances of a positive patient outcome by administering targeted interventions only to those patients who are likely to respond (i.e. those for whom the treatment will most likely be effective), while avoiding or limiting undesirable side effects as well as optimizing the cost-efficacy ratio.
国产微拍福利Personalized medicine is already being widely used in oncology. In the future, it is poised to undergo significant development in other therapeutic areas: infectious diseases, neurology, immunology, cardiology, gastroenterology, etc.
These mandatory diagnostic tests are used to select patients likely to show a clear benefit from an intervention (therapy, vaccine or device) for a given disease (patient stratification) and to identify patients with predispositions to serious side effects.
- bioMérieux has acquired significant experience in this field, working with major companies such as GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Novartis and Array BioPharma for the co-development of , a molecular-based companion test to identify melanoma V600E and K mutations.
Supportive or facilitating tests
These diagnostic tests are recommended for safe drug or vaccine prescription or medical device use, and for good medical practice.
- Tests used to determine quantitative antibiotic susceptibility (e.g. Minimal Inhibitory Concentration [MIC]. For many years, bioMerieux has applied its partnership know-how in the field of infectious diseases to coordinate the development of the and product ranges, in close collaboration with anti-infective pharmaceutical companies.
Both these diagnostic solutions play an instrumental role in launching and safely prescribing new anti-infective agents, particularly in the context of growing antimicrobial resistance.
- Tests used to optimize clinical trials through patient stratification and cohort enrichment (creation of homogenous and uniform cohorts of patients) with a similar condition, disease, or pathogen of interest. Many of the tests on the and systems, as well as certain growth-based assays (, ), can be used to efficiently select patients for treatment with anti-infective medications, prophylactic or therapeutic monoclonal antibodies or immunomodulatory drugs.
Our partnership program
- bioMérieux has created the Companion Diagnostics program which is structured to work in close partnership with pharmaceutical, vaccine and medical device companies. Its objective is to promote the use of various laboratory tests which are combined with medical interventions.
- Our Companion Diagnostics program provides a single point of entry to facilitate interactions with our partners.
- These partnerships may, for instance, be in the field of sepsis, anti-infective medicines and vaccines, or immunomodulating interventions.
- At bioMérieux, we combine our expertise in infectious diseases and targeted critical medical conditions with our experience in the field of “companion” and “supportive/complementary” diagnostic tests to forge strong, tailored and innovative development as well as commercialization partnerships with healthcare companies.
- We are committed to improving patient care through innovative and effective diagnostic solutions that use technologies in which the Company has long-standing expertise: microbiology, immunoassays and molecular biology.
- As a pure in vitro diagnostic player, bioMérieux fully manages the phases of development, validation, registration and global commercial deployment, optimizing market access for both the diagnostic test and the associated pharmaceutical or medical device.